Monday, May 24, 2010
One of the 305 blog posts I have starred in my Google Reader is this post from Apartment Therapy. I'd been wanting to try it myself, so I decided to make something for Ninna from some of my favorite tomato jars (of which I have an obscene number.) We'll be storing something inside of these, which I'll reveal in my follow-up post showing what we did next. Instead of following their directions, I changed them to suit my needs. In order to replicate this, you would do the following:
1. Pour blobs of two (or more) different colors of paint in each jar. To make these coordinating, I chose pink and white, purple and white, and blue and white. I poured a couple of streams of each down the sides.
2. Replace the lid and shake, relatively vigorously, until they're fully coated. If you have a hard time getting a spot covered, pour in a little more paint.
3. Allow them to dry. This took a long time. Days, at least--maybe a week. I can't remember.
4. Pour in a large blob of Mod Podge. Replace the lid, and again, shake vigorously until the entire interior is coated. I added this step because I don't want the paint to get scratched when we fill the jars when we begin using them for their intended purpose.
5. Allow them to dry. Again, this took FOREVER. Maybe a week and a half. Every time I checked, the Mod Podge was still damp in the bottom, and finally, after what felt like twenty years to my impatient self, they were dry.
I'm pretty happy with how these turned out. I have a minor obsession with saving glass jars, but I always seem to find something else to do with them just as the last speck of space on the jar shelf disappears.
Yay for repurposing!